Sunday, January 30, 2011

Baking Soda and Molasses: Restoring Your Car with Cookie Ingredients

I made my first experimental batch of molasses-based rust remover on Friday.  Lacking agricultural grade molasses, I raided the pantry for some Aunt Patty's Unsulphured baking molasses and mixed it with nine parts water.  Supposedly this mixture will soon smell like vomit and remove rust at the same time.  The cylinder water outlet elbow pictured in my December 17, 2010 post is now soaking in it.  In two to three weeks the rust should be gone.  A full explanation and links to videos can be found here: http://forums.aaca.org/f120/rust-removal-using-molasses-293820.html

I've been investigating methods of undercoating removal including dipping and blasting with various forms of media.  I found a local shop that blasts with baking soda instead of the traditional sand.  The benefit of baking soda is that it does not heat up and warp the surface of body panels.  On the down side, it may not be as effective as sand at removing rust and has a reputation for causing problems with paint adhesion when it is not thoroughly removed after blasting.  I liked the guy I talked to at the shop and he think it is far superior to sand.  On his cars, he powerwashes it for an hour or so after blasting and then uses compressed air to dry it off.  Then it goes into the shop with fans and a dehumidifier.  When it is completely dry he first uses an etching primer and follows with an epoxy primer.  He said he should be able to completely blast my entire car and remove all paint, filler, and rust for under $1,000.  The rinsing and priming would be extra if I want him to do that.  It sounds pretty good if he can actually get the rust. 

There is another shop I just learned about tonight that uses crushed walnut shells.  I need to research it some more, but it sounds like it also is less effective at removing rust and has the additional negative of leaving an oily residue that is hard to remove.

Besides the research and experimentation, I actually accomplished something on the car.  Two of the tires did not hold air and were completely shot.  I found replacements for $5 each and good old Les Schwab took the old tires off and put the new ones on and disposed of the old tires for just $7.50.  I love that place and will try to buy my tires there when the time comes.  Now the car actually sits upright and it is not quite as embarrassing when I open the garage.

No comments:

Post a Comment