Friday, December 17, 2010

Preparing to Remove the Head

Changing the direction of the webbing did not do the trick (although it did shake loose parts from other areas of the car), so I decided to remove the cylinder head.  To accomplish this, I asked for an impact wrench for Christmas and started removing other parts that are in the way, including the coil and spark plug wires, the accelerator linkage, and the cylinder water outlet elbow.  The accelerator linkage has some corrosion and was hard to remove from the pivot that it sits on.  I might try the molasses rust removal technique on those parts.  The water outlet elbow came off surprisingly easy.  It was pretty nasty underneath it, as you can see from the photo below.  As bad as it looks, the debris mostly vacuumed out and does not appear to extend beyond the immediate vicinity of the opening.  It must be debris from the rusted hole in the radiator inlet and perhaps the remains of the thermostat which was not present.

I put a socket on a couple of head bolts and they wouldn't turn.  I did not use too much force because I don't want to snap them off and will wait for the impact wrench and soak them with ATF/acetone in the meantime.  I also still need to figure out how to remove two wires that connect to the carburetor and do not appear to have easily removable connections.  They cross over the head and will be in the way when I try to lift it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment